Monday, June 1, 2009

Status Report - June

Sitting - On my worn out, deflated sofa and wishing we had chosen leather six years ago.

Listening to - Anne and her girlfriend on the computer in the other room. They have Casting Crowns The Alter and the Door playing. I love that CD. And even more, I love that Anne loves it.

Also Listening to - Mr. Crumbs having his nightly time with The Littles. I love that man.

Sipping - Chardonnay. It's my birthday, but it's been decidedly un-birthday like. What with it being Tuesday and all. I've have spent the day cooking and cleaning (OK, not so much cleaning) and shopping and chauffeuring like every other Tuesday. So I've been sulking. Thinking that being an adult can be kind of lame sometimes. But I do realize that the role of self-proclaimed martyr is not very becoming. So I decided to medicate my whining with wine. And it's helping.

Grateful - For all the Facebooked, emailed, snail mailed, and telephoned birthday wishes I recieved today. I feel very loved.

Happy - That I finally got to see Star Trek last weekend. It was every bit as much campy Sci-fi action as I was hoping for. I loved it!

Reading - Like crazy lately. In the last week, or maybe two:
  • Light on Snow (Typical Anita Shreve. Lovely and subtle.)
  • The House of the Scorpion (Good!)
  • The Hunger Games (Better than good. Amazing. Read it in a day.) And then, because I thought I needed to take a break from YA distopian fiction -
  • Two of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, i.e. vampire, novels (Fun-but a bit too smutty for me. I am more of a prude than I realized.)
  • Currently reading The Third Angel. (Almost finished and still kind of 'Meh' about it)
Needing - Some book recommendations. Anyone?

Looking forward to - Thursday. My girlfriend is taking the kids for 4-5 hours so I can have an afternoon off. Going to meet my mother for lunch and then hit Shangri-La Barnes & Noble to spend a gift certificate. Which brings me back to the book recommendations. Anyone?

Also Looking Forward to - Girls Night on Friday. We are starting a study on Ephesians and having a super yummy dark-chocolate cake in my honor. My best friends. God's word. Chocolate. It doesn't get much better.

Thankful - that the sun is finally shining and the pool is finally open. Summer has officially begun...My favorite time of the year.

Not Thankful - that the sun is finally shining and the pool is finally open. I officially have no excuse not to put on a swimsuit.

Feeling Guilty - (Speaking of swimsuits) About the way I jumped ship on the whole diet/exercise thing this week. It will probably take a couple weeks for the scale to recover. The chocolate cake isn't going to help.

Worrying - About a lot of my friends lately. Friends dealing with the mortality of their parents. Loss of loved ones. Heart-wrenching problems with children. Wishing I could ease their pain.

Touched - By this song on Sunday.



May my hope also be unchanged.

~~~~~
Hat tip to my friend, Lisa, from whom I have shamelessly stolen the Monthly Status Report post format. Cause I know an easy post a good idea when I see one.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!

    i havne't read the sookie stackhouse books, but a friend who has described them by saying that sookie is a self proclaimed prude he keeps "Accidentally" falling into bed with every non-human she encounters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wooo! Have fun on your outing tomorrow! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy be-lated Birthday Joy! I did know it was coming, I have proof because I offered to watch your kids for you when we met at Chick-fil-A:)...Sorry though, I haven't been getting on the computer or phone much this week. We are finally here to stay for the next 2 and a half weeks, yay, maybe I can snap out of this head fog of living in two states:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like today AND tomorrow will be great for you! That should make up for the regular old birthday day.

    I wish we celebrated adult birthdays with as much gusto as we do the kids. I mean, who doesn't love a good birthday party? I could even go for a bouncy house, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. our sofa has deflated, too. there's practically no cushion anymore. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a great birthday! I would recommend a book, but our book tastes are definately different....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steal away! I love reading the status reports as much as I love writing them!

    So, what did you get with your gift certificate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Amelia. Hopped over here from somewhere, mainly because of your name! I have a six year old daughter, Amelia.

    As for a book recommendation, Alicia Chole's "anonymous" or her most recent work "finding an unseen God" are both stunning works of art. She doesn't waste one word. I promise.

    Blessings and peace to you this summer~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Happy birthday! And I am jealous that you have gotten so much reading time! Well, maybe I would too if I wasn't on the computer all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, sweetie.
    How about "Home" by Marilynne Robinson? That was great.

    ReplyDelete